Current courses taught at USI Università della Svizzera italiana
- E-Tourism Technology Labs (Course director)
Master of Arts in Economics and Communication in International Tourism, Core course, 1st year
The course “eTourism Technology Lab” introduces various technological applications and tools relevant to the tourism industry and provides students with a hands-on experience of utilizing advanced eTourism applications through a specific course project. The objective of the course is twofold: students will work on a technological project, and on the other side they will be able to assess the time and efforts required to complete it. The objectives of this lecture will be met through lectures, text readings, practical exercises, and in-class discussions.
- Tourism Career Lab, (Course director) co-teaching with prof. L. Cantoni
Master of Arts in Economics and Communication in International Tourism, Core course, 2nd year
Learners awarded a Master in International Tourism can aim at exiting careers in several related fields – in particular: Government, Industry Associations and Research; Destination Management and Marketing; Travel Trade (Tour Operators and Travel Agencies); Transportation and Accommodation; Events and Conferences. This is the experience of MT alumnae/i, who will share with current students their career paths, everyday working life, and future professional scenarios. Goal of this lab is to help current learners to figure out possible careers in Tourism, to meet professionals with a similar academic background, to promote knowledge sharing and opportunities for further collaborations with the industry and related institutional players. During the course, students will also prepare and improve their CVs. They will also explore in detail open positions in specific job markets, so to be better prepared to apply for them. Classes will be organized as follows: presentations by alumnae/i, discussions with current students, and group projects aimed at mapping specific job market needs.
- Usability and Webanalytics (Course assistant). Course director is prof. L. Cantoni. The course deals with the relationship between hypermedia products (e.g.: websites, mobile apps) and their users, analyzing effectiveness/efficiency/user satisfaction: usability, as well as actual usages: webanalytics. Usability will be approached taking into account both expert inspections as well as user testing, dealing in particular with such tools as heuristics and user scenarios. Also eye-tracking techniques will be presented and discussed. Webanalytics will consider several online communication outlets, ranging from websites and mobile apps to Facebook pages/groups, videos, Twitter, newsletters etc. The course will also present a holistic model, encompassing both usability and webanalytics, called UsERA, and based on Austin’s model of communication.
- eTourism: Communication Perspectives MOOC (Course instructor)
This Swiss-made Massive Online Open Course (MOOC) takes you on a terrific journey into eTourism and online communication. You will feel the pulse of ICTs and enjoy the beauty of Switzerland as a globally renowned tourism destination. Time to travel. Join now.
- New Media for Tourism Comunication (Module – Course instructor)
at the University of Applied Sciences HTW Chur, Switzerland
- Information System Tools – Hotel Management II (Lecturer)
at the International Academy of Tourism and Hospitality (IATH), Como, Italy
- Realtà Aumentata/Virtuale e Comunicazione (Course director)
Bachelor of Science in Communication, Elective course, Seminarial course, 3rd year
Course description: Gli studenti conosceranno le principali innovazioni nell’ambito della comunicazione e del marketing non convenzionale. In particolare, avranno l’opportunità di conoscere e acquisire competenze pratiche sugli strumenti necessari per l’ideazione e la realizzazione di strategie di comunicazione basate sulla realtà aumentata e sull’interazione attraverso i dispositivi mobili. In particolare gli studenti: saranno in grado di progettare e realizzare semplici applicazioni di realtà aumentata utilizzando software che non richiedono conoscenze tecniche pregresse. Inoltre, saranno in grado di ideare e sviluppare contenuti interattivi per il digitale.saranno maggiormente sensibili rispetto alle potenzialità dei nuovi strumenti e tecniche di comunicazione mobile e multimediale.
- E-Tourism Technology Labs (Course director): this course has been evaluated by students as the best course in the International Tourism Master program for the years 2013-2014 and 2014-2015.
- E-Tourism Technology Labs (Course assistant)
- New Media for Tourism Communication (Course assistant)
- Progettazione e Analisi del Web (Master in Media Management) (Course assistant): this course has been evaluated by students as the best course in the Media Management Master program for the year 2011-2012.
Master thesis supervision at USI-Università della Svizzera italiana:
Current (as supervisor):
- How Social Media can support DMOs in case of natural disasters. The case of Amelia Island. Giulia Gervasini
- Teenagers’ perceptions of Canton Ticino’s through the official destination website: an eye-tracking investigation. Edoardo Cantoni* BEST THESIS AWARD IFITT2018
- Measuring the effects of a tourism-related Virtual Reality experience. Maria Katsira
- Biometrics in Hospitality and Tourism: Measuring the effects of three destination marketing videos on consumer behaviour using two biometric sensors devices. Christos Petrakis
- Taxonomies of Facebook comments left by DMOs’ followers. Loredana Lechners
- Understanding the mismatch between official images and perceived images about the destination San Sebastian – Donostia (Spain). Laura Raimundo (supervisor)
- Online reputation of Baku city as a tourism destination. Mariya Abbasova
- Online communication of weather-related information to tourists. The case of National DMOs. Wen Yu Nong (supervisor).
- The online communication of the Italian UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The case of the “Sassi of Matera”. Canio di Nardo (Visiting Master student from the School of Economics Management and Statistics, Campus Rimini, Italy)
- An analysis of cultural differences based on online reviews (Chinese version of TripAdvisor) of luxury hotels in Shanghai. Jin, Yuqin
- Pratiche di ascolto e di dialogo rispetto alle review online: Il caso degli alberghi di Lugano. Alessia Borrè
- Analyzing the state-of-the-art of the online presence of agritourism offers in Switzerland. The case of Agritourism Switzerland. Fabienne Boegli
- Il Ruolo della Destinazione nella Comunicazione Online degli Hotel. Il caso degli hotel del Ticino (Svizzera). Fabia Casnati
- L’importanza dei social media nel nuovo modello di business nel mercato del turismo. Il caso di Facebook per il settore dell’albergheria di lusso. Gabriele Salvadori
- The Quantified self: data-driven life through gamification. Sergio Jimenez Valdes
- Hotel Mobile Applications: Analysing the State-of-the-art and Proposing a Concept. Annina Reimann
- E-mail Marketing activities across the European Union countries. Edoardo Piccolotto
- Destination Reputation in the Social Media across Different Language-Speaking Markets – The Case of Bucharest, Romania. Corina Ganera
- The Online Reputation of Switzerland as a Tourism Destination: a research conducted on Chinese Social Network Weibo. Hu Tu
- ETCOMM – etourism communication Maturity Model. Un modello per la valutazione della maturità dei processi per la gestione della comunicazione online all’interno dell’industria turistica. Il caso del Canton ticino e dell’alta Lombardia. Giulia Pavese
- Destination image change and user generated content: the case of Malta. Gregory Papadopoulos
- Online presence of project websites supported by the UNWTO ST-EP program: towards optimization. Ktimene Gembol
- Online reputation of tourism destinations. Towards a destination online reputation model. Stefano Da Col
- Credibility in the online tourism: an analysis of contextual elements in web 2.0 tourism services. Maria Kanaki
- Reputation and tourism. Identifying and measuring the elements that influence the reputation of tourism destinations. Dedekind Christian